Thursday, August 1, 2013

Where Are All The Male Teachers? by Katie Lepi

Looking back on my own experience as a student, the vast majority of my teachers were female. From K-12, I can count the number of male teachers on both hands – I think there were probably about seven. I’ll roughly estimate that I had a total of about 50 teachers over the course of those years, that’s a pretty low percentage. But apparently that’s a pretty average experience. Male teachers are much less common, especially in the earlier grades (I didn’t have a male teacher until the 6th grade!). The handy infographic below highlights some statistics on male teachers. Keep reading to learn more.

Where Are All The Male Teachers?

§  Men account for less than 25% of teachers in the US, 17% in Canada, and 25% in the UK.
§  Only 2% of pre-K and kindergarten teachers are men.
§  Only 18% of elementary and middle school teachers are men.
§  The most cited sources of why men don’t want to be teachers are: low salary, low status, and the easy potential for accusations of abuse.
Are you a male teacher? We’d love to hear your thoughts on these statistics and projected reasons for so few men in the profession! We hear from a lot of really great male teachers through our site, so we hope this means a trend towards more great male teachers is in the works!



No comments: