Sunday, September 16, 2012

Why We Teach Despite It All

Coming Soon (Webisodes)
These issues are going to be discussed and launched on my YouTube Channel soon!  A Panel of distinguished guests with me as the host will be discussing issues from my book Battlegrounds America's War in Education and Finance A View From The Front Lines.

Please click on the link and read the testimonials!  The articles are text intensive and cannot be placed on my blog. 

I just want to state for the record that it is not about money!  Teachers aren't the highest paid laborers in the world.  We do it for students!  We have a passion to impart knowledge on those who need and desire it!

http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/14/us/why-teachers-stay-ireport/index.html
Why they teach despite it all

By Christina Zdanowicz, CNN

CNN) -- Fourth-grade teacher by day, adjunct professor and mother by night, Renee Longshore keeps a strict budget and pulls a second income all in the name of teaching.

With her husband's two jobs -- he's also a fourth-grade teacher and an adjunct professor -- the master's-educated couple makes four incomes. But, money is tight for this family of six.

While Longshore's passion for teaching children helps her overlook her modest life, she sometimes resents her job. She feels under-appreciated by parents at times and like her profession isn't respected.

"My paycheck does not reflect my expertise," she wrote on CNN iReport. "The minimal esteem shown is not warranted, considering my formal schooling and experience. ... But I teach, because that is who I am."

Despite administration frustrations and poor classroom conditions -- and for Chicago teachers, a weeklong strike -- why do they do it? CNN asked teachers to share their perspectives about the sacrifices they make, and the motivations for teaching. These are five of their stories:
http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/14/us/why-teachers-stay-ireport/index.html

No comments: